Long Stay Visa (Non-Immigrant O-A) Home > Long Stay Visa (Non-Immigrant O-A)

Long Stay Visa (Non-Immigrant O-A)

For staying in Thailand maximum period of 1 year, the applicants must apply for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) or so called Non-O-A Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy (when applying outside Thailand) or the Immigration Bureau (when applying in Thailand). 

The purpose of this type of visa is to promote long stay for foreign traveler to Thailand who is above 50 years old. You can apply for a multiple-entry Non-O-A visa and stay in the Kingdom for the maximum period of 1 year. The visa fee is 185 CHF.

Applicants can ONLY apply in person for a visa, no longer than 90 days before your traveling date from Monday – Friday from 09:00 – 12:00 hours. (except our national holidays) and applicants have to make an online appointment at https://thaiembassy.ch/Appointment in order to submit your visa application at the counter of Visa Section, Royal Thai Embassy in Bern
Please kindly note that visa application takes approximately 5-7 working days after the receipt of completed required documents.

Applicants’ qualifications and Required Documentation

  1. Age of 50 years old or over
  2. Applicants must hold an ordinary passport of Switzerland or must have permanent residence / residence permit in Switzerland (Permit C) with two (2) copies
  3. Original Passport; must be valid for at 18 months from the date of travel to Thailand with two (2) copies
  4. Three (3) Completed visa application form and 6 photographs (size 3.5 X 4.5 cm. taken within the last 6 months) 
  5. (Not required at the moment) Two (2) copies of travel booking or ticket reservation (from Switzerland to Thailand, one way or round trip) 
  6. Two (2) copies of accommodation in Thailand at least the first month 

7. Two (2) copies of Financial confirmations in the past 3 months; a bank statement from private or saving account (in Switzerland or Thailand) showing a deposit at the amount equal to no less than 800,000 THB or a monthly pension income certificate no less than 65,000 THB.

- Cash in your private or saving bank account = 800,000 THB

- Cash in your private or saving bank account + your monthly pension income (12 months) = 800,000 THB

- Your monthly pension income (12 months) in total per year = 800,000 THB

8. One (1) original and one (1) copy of Medical Certificate from licenced doctor; Applicants must have no forbidden diseases according to the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction and third stage of Syphilis. The certificat  must not be valid more than 3 months. (download medical certificate here)

9. Two (2) biography (CV, Resume)

10. One (1) original and one (1) copy of Certificate of criminal record clearance from country of permanent residence. The certificate must not be valid more than 3 months. It must state that the applicant is not registered in the criminal record.

11. Two (2) copies of evidence stating that applicants have insurance for out-patient not less than 40,000 THB and for in-patient not less than 400,000 THB

2 options:

      (A) If your current insurance covers the requirement which mentioned above, request your insurance company to fill in, stamp and sign this form.

      (B) If you have non, buy a new insurance with the coverage mentioned above from this link.

          Please kindly note that:

         1) Upon arrival, applicants will be initially granted a stay permit according to his/her period of insurance coverage, maximum one year.

         2) when applicants use insurance companies which are not listed by Thai General Insurance Association, after a year the applicants cannot extend his/her stay in Thailand and must travel back to home country or residence country to apply for a new visa.

12. Visa fee : 185 CHF in cash, valid for one year with Multiple entry

13. In case that applicant’s passport shall be sent back by post, an envelope with applicant’s address and CHF 7 of stamps are required. The embassy does not accept any responsibility for any kind of loss or damage from post service.


Please kindly note as follows;

1) Cannot work in Thailand

2) Can purchase vehicle (under the provision of laws on motor vehicles).

3) Can purchase condominium (proceed in accordance with the Condominium Act).

4) Can open a Thai bank account